Friday, February 3, 2012

Feeling lucky.


I've been a Tigers and baseball fan for as long as I can remember. I remember my first Tigers game at Tiger Stadium. It was against the Oakland Athletics, and I distinctly remember having a strong dislike for Jason Giambi every time he came up to bat. I remember the players on the field looked like ants and the sun was directly in my eyes. It was the greatest day ever.

In 2000 and 2001, I went to Toronto to see them play on the road against the Blue Jays at the Skydome. My Aunt Terry and Uncle John took me, and we stayed at the same hotel as the team. I remember sitting in the lobby with them when I noticed a group of about 5 men in suits walk through the door. Then 5 more. Then 15 more. The entire Tigers team was walking by me. "There's Tony Clark! Deivi Cruz! Jose Macias!" My aunt gave me a pad of paper and pen to go ask for some autographs, but I was way too shy. I just stared in awe as I watched my heroes out of their Superman costumes and in their suits.

One morning in Toronto in 2000, I was in the breakfast buffet line, standing behind a particularly slow moving individual. I was getting very irritated, but he was much bigger than me so obviously I did nothing. Remember, I was just about 8 years old. I finally went around and looked up at him; it was Juan Gonzalez.

Toronto was where I met Ernie Harwell and got his autograph. He missed his elevator ride for me. I ran in to Hideo Nomo outside of the hotel and got his autograph as well.

I titled this "Feeling Lucky" because of all of the opportunities I've had as a baseball fan. I've made so many memories in such a short amount of time. While at a game in Toronto, I was the only Tigers fan standing against the railing to look for autographs. Doug Brocail approached me and handed me a baseball. I'll never forget that moment for as long as I live, and it was such a simple gesture.

I'll be going back to Toronto this summer to see the Tigers play the Jays. Once again, I count my blessings that I have a family who is as crazy as me when it comes to loving baseball. There's nothing quite as great as a baseball road trip.

I've also been lucky to have the chance to go to Spring Training so often. I've gone 4 of the last 5 years and went in 2001 and 2003 as well. I think that every baseball fan should have the opportunity to experience Spring Training, whether in Florida or in Arizona. There is nothing like the feeling of watching baseball under the sun in the middle of March.




My aunt and uncle don't have kids, so they treat my siblings and me as their own. They're the ones who take me to Spring Training every year. In 2008 and 2009, they got me the 9-game ticket package for Comerica Park. My perfect Friday night includes sitting under the lights while I eat overpriced concession food.

I've gone to a few Tigers photo days and caravan events and have gotten my pictures taken with some of my favorite players. I find that I like pictures better than autographs. My uncle started two magazines, one in Grosse Pointe and one in Rochester Hills, and I've written a few articles for them. I had the opportunity to interview and meet former Tigers player Dave Bergman. My uncle also knows the owner of the Las Vegas 51s, the triple A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. He gave us tickets to watch a game from a suite on a scorching hot day at Comerica Park. I'm not used to luxury and let me tell you, that was incredible.

I've watched the Tigers play in Cleveland, I've caught a Reds/Indians game in Cincinnati, and I plan to visit Kansas City in 2012. I had tickets to see the Tigers in Pittsburgh last year, but it was during the time that my Paw Paw was really sick so we stayed home.


My lifelong personal goal has been to visit every Major League ballpark. I've barely made a dent in my quest, but I know it will happen one day. Yes, it will most likely put me in debt and yes, I don't know when I will find the time. But it's baseball...I can always make room for my first love. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment