Tuesday, January 10, 2012

There's No "We" In Team?

How many times have you heard this argument?

Fan #1: What a terrible game! We need to make a trade for a big bat, we're just not getting any production from the middle of the lineup.

Fan #2: Oh really? YOU aren't getting any production? I guess I missed it when you were playing today.

Okay, Fan #2, lighten up.

I can't speak for everyone who refers to their favorite team as "we", but I think the majority of us understand that we are not, in fact, playing on the team. But thank you for your swift observation, otherwise I would have accidentally grabbed my cleats and glove on my way to bat clean up in the Tigers lineup.

Baseball is made up of so many components, and one of the most important of those includes the fans. The suckers who show up season after season, emptying their wallets on team apparel, tickets, drinks, and food. Without the fans, Major League Baseball would not be Major League. It would be your local recreation team at the community park up the road.

We know that we don't have anything to do with the playing on the field. We don't affect the outcome of the game (except the Tigers did have a pretty good run at the end of the 2011 regular season when I watched each game from the same exact spot on the couch...just saying). The two teams that battle each day are the only people who control what appears in the win/loss column the next day. But that doesn't mean that we can't feel it. A heartbreaking loss, a thrilling win, a blowout victory; those are the moments when the team and the fans become "we".

I guess I just don't understand the big deal over this. Ever since I was a little girl, I referred to the Tigers as "we". They've been "my" team since I was four years old. "They" are the opponents, and "we" are the good guys.

“By the way, thank you to all the fans back in Detroit. I doubt that you’re up right now, I don’t know maybe you are, but thank you for the support. I really appreciate it, I mean that. I can’t tell you how proud I am of you guys and the loyalty that you’ve shown to us, and uh, I hope you’re proud of us tonight. It’s tough times for people in Detroit, and we know that. And believe me, it’s not something that we don’t think about, you know, ‘cause we do. I come from a big family, my dad was a factory worker, I know all about stuff like that, worrying about getting laid off and stuff, so I have a great appreciation for that. It means so much to me, but I think during times like this, a sports team can uplift your spirits. And I hope that we’ve lifted up the spirits of our fans in Detroit because they deserve it.” - Jim Leyland after the Tigers clinched the 2011 AL Central

No comments:

Post a Comment