Monday, January 9, 2012

The Hills are Alive with the Sound of (Baseball) Music

I had a few different ideas for a blog entry today, but I decided to go with something a little lighter since it's late and I have a long day tomorrow.

Do you like music? Do you like baseball? Why of course you do, you're human! So when the two are combined, it's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

There's a lot of different songs that can be associated with a team. Whether it's something obscure and not baseball related at all, like Omar Infante's walk up JAM session, or a baseball classic like "Centerfield". Here are my personal favorite songs that I feel a strong baseball connection to!

(Click the titles to listen to the songs)

9. Take Me Out To The Ball Game - Jack Norworth and Albert Von Tilzer
"For it's one, two, three strikes you're out at the old ball game!"

Let's just get the obvious one out of the way. It would not be a baseball game without this classic song during the 7th inning stretch. That would be like leaving the theater before the cheesy montage in a romantic comedy film. The lyrics are so familiar and have been sung by generations after generations. This song alone can bring back a flood of memories for baseball fans of all ages.

8. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
"Oh, sweet Caroline; good times never seem so good"

This is one of those songs that has nothing to do with baseball but it has everything to do with baseball. If you're a Red Sox fan, this song is an essential part of your baseball going experience. It has that summery, upbeat feel of a song you would expect to hear at a baseball stadium.

7. Go Cubs Go - Steve Goodman
"Hey Chicago, what do ya say, the Cubs are gonna win today"

This song just makes me so HAPPY. I think it was such a brilliant idea for him to write and record this song. After a good ol' Cubs win at Wrigley, this song is blasted over the speakers as the fans sing along. It's almost like their own little way of saying, "Thanks for the win guys! We'll see you tomorrow!" Strangers put their arms around each other and sway back and forth with their beers in their hands...ahh, baseball. Go Cubs go!

6. Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen
"I had a friend, was a big baseball player back in high school. He could throw that speedball by you; make you look like a fool boy"

BRUUUUUUCE! If you don't absolutely love a little Bruce Springsteen in your life, then I don't know what's going on in that head of yours. One of my favorite musicians singing about a high school pal's glory days? It's pretty much perfect. This has become a baseball classic as an ode to all those who once played the game.

5. Talkin' Baseball - Terry Cashman
"The Tigers have tradition, and Sparky's one ambition is to get them to the Classic in the fall"

I have to admit, this is one of those baseball songs that makes me a little emotional. It reminds me so much of my Paw Paw, so I can't help but get a little choked up. It's such a feel good baseball song. Of course, the version I love is the Talkin Tigers' Baseball one. Hearing all of those old school names makes me wish I could time travel to every decade and experience baseball from each one.

4. Celebration - Kool & the Gang
"There's a party goin' on right here; a celebration to last throughout the years"

I will forever associate this song with the Tigers playoff run in 2006. Oh...oh yes, I just got goosebumps. Seeing the team I had grown up OBSESSING over, finally celebrating with champagne with wins over the Yankees and Athletics, was just the greatest feeling ever. Another emotional connection to a song that doesn't have much to do with baseball! CELEBRATE!

3. The Greatest - Kenny Rogers
"He makes no excuses, he shows no fear. He just closes his eyes and listens to the cheers."

This is pretty much the most inspirational baseball song out there. It paints such a beautiful picture of a young boy trying his hardest to be "The Greatest". It's definitely the slowest song on the list, but also one of the most sentimental.

2. Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
"It won't be long 'til summer comes, now that the boys are back in town"

This is my go-to Spring Training song. I wake up on that beautiful Pitchers & Catchers Report morning and I blast the hell out of this. I do my baseball dance and try to go on with the rest of my day acting as if the greatest thing in the universe isn't happening in Florida and Arizona. Another upbeat, feel good song that is absolutely synonymous with the start of the baseball season for me.

1. Centerfield - John Fogerty
"Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today! We're born again, there's new grass on the field."

OH DEAR HEAVENS. GREATEST SONG EVER. I'm just so happy this exists. If you want a baseball song, this is it. I can practically smell the baseball park when I sit back and listen to this. I want to live inside of this song forever. And ever and ever. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment