Sunday, January 8, 2012

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

It's true. Give a girl a fresh baseball diamond, and we'll absolutely melt. Why is it still so surprising that there are so many females who adore this sport and have a true knowledge of it?

There's a belief among many that only boys and men can be "true" fans and if a girl tries to argue a topic or give their opinion, it's automatically inferior. I've seen it so many times before and I've experienced it firsthand. I've had guys actually tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about when I prove them wrong. In fact, sometimes I hold back a little because I don't want to embarrass them so bad.

What does gender have to do with liking a sport? Baseball is a game. It's a game with the richest history of all sports. It's a simple game with so many complexities. It's relaxing and stressful, enjoyable and frustrating. It can provide as an escape for people who need something bigger than themselves. All of that beauty shouldn't be subjugated to just one gender.

But it's not just men who criticize female fans; girls do it too. They'll attack each other over what they're wearing or how they look. Personally, I don't like wearing pink team apparel. But who cares if another girl is?! If you don't know her personally, you don't know just how big of a fan she might be. Pink is just a color. Are you really going to judge someone based on what color they are wearing?

Baseball is a game that unites such a diversity of people. We should embrace it. Don't be surprised when a girl says she is a fan of this game. With a sport as amazing as baseball, why should you be shocked that someone loves it so much? When you talk to a girl about baseball, don't think you have to dumb it down. And if you are talking to someone who doesn't know a lot, then it's your chance to teach them. It's your turn to pass on your love for the game like someone once did for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment